Your Winter Break

What better time than winter break to get some legal documents in place to make sure that your family never has to suffer making difficult decisions and wondering what you would have wanted in terms of your medical care in the event of your incapacity or death? You’ll also want to give them the ability to manage your financial affairs and talk with your doctors, insurance company or others should you be unable to do so yourself.

You see, once you’re 18, you’re a legal adult entitled to privacy protections and without these important legal documents in place, your family will not be able to talk with your doctors about your medical care or with your credit card companies about your bills or with your bank about your accounts.

So meet with and have a competent lawyer who can make personalized recommendations for you, draft the appropriate legal instruments to accomplish your goals, and ensure that they are properly, formally executed (i.e. made legally binding and enforceable). This is all on you; your parents can’t do it for you (but they will likely support your efforts to do so).

Your lawyer should help you make sure that the right people have access to your legal documents in the right way, and most importantly, at the right time.

If you’re a Massachusetts resident between 18 and 23 years of age, please feel free to call my office and mention this blog post for a sharp discount off my legal fees to help you get the legal documents in place you need so you are protected and your family is spared additional anguish should anything ever happen to you.

And please, do this before Spring Break! Now, happy sleeping in and lazing about or working your tail off for cash instead of grades; I distinctly remember doing both on my winter breaks! Have fun and stay safe.


About Danielle G. Van Ess

Danielle G. Van Ess is a Massachusetts (born and raised), experienced estate planning and small business attorney who helps her clients protect and preserve what matters most to them. To learn more, please visit: or call: 781-740-0848